New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of domestic violence and homelessness for low-income families and individuals by developing and connecting them to safe, permanent, affordable housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing; and works to expand access to permanent housing resources for survivors. New Destiny is the largest provider of supportive housing for domestic violence survivors in New York and is a leading advocate in the effort to obtain the resources needed to end family homelessness in New York City.
The Case Manager is to provide regular on-site services at Bainbridge Community This building is a 55-unit, service enriched permanent and affordable housing development, with 23 units set aside for domestic violence survivors, in the Bed-Stuy section of Brooklyn. The Case Manager will work closely with the Tenant Support Coordinator and the social service team to maintain and grow a robust program to focus on fostering family stability by connecting families to resources; maintaining a violence-free environment and helping children thrive emotionally, physically, and academically. This is a full-time position requiring one late night a week (e.g., 11:00 am to 7:00 pm) and occasional weekend hours. The Case Manager will report directly to the Program Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
Case Management Responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive case management services to a caseload of 15-18 tenants, including counseling services, crisis intervention, and other appropriate supportive services.
- Develop programming and activities in collaboration with the social service team and the families.
- Work with tenants on caseload to create and implement annual wellness plans to meet individual goals.
- Conduct annual assessments with tenants to assess stability and ongoing social service needs.
- Plan and implement age-appropriate therapeutic activities for children. • Research, organize and implement afterschool programming and occasional weekend activities.
- Build connections in the community and provide referrals to stabilizing community programming, including recreational activities, mental health services, physical health services, employment enhancement services, etc.
- Work with families to follow-up with schools, clinics, and other providers where appropriate.
- Contribute to the program database of borough-specific and city-wide educational and recreational programs.
- Maintain a strong relationship with New Destiny Housing’s Housing Stability Services team members who are providing Health and Wellness and Financial Coaching on-site to tenants. This includes following up with referrals and assisting with connection to services.
- Attend weekly supervision meetings with the Tenant Support Coordinator.
- Enter all tenant contacts and group work into ECM on a regular basis.
- Collect and maintain information on children and families (report cards, skills evaluation, surveys, etc.).
- Conduct monthly meetings and case conferences with Family Support Program staff.
- Maintain up-to-date case files and ensure all data is inputted into the case management database.
- Contribute to the development of best practices for the Family Support Program.
- Work with volunteers and interns to enrich youth and family events.
- Other duties as assigned by Tenant Support Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree required. BSW or BA/S in the areas of Psychology, Sociology, Early Education preferred.
- A minimum of 2 to 4 years of direct service experience preferred.
- Knowledge and experience assisting individuals to access resources in the areas of housing stability, health & mental health, and food security.
- Proven track record in engaging children and adults who have experienced homelessness and domestic violence preferred.
- Ability to be empathetic, creative, and resourceful. Experience with trauma-informed care preferred.
- The ideal candidate is a person who is highly organized, flexible, and resourceful.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, computer literacy and sound judgment.
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred.
$50,000 per year with competitive benefits. This is a full-time position with a benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short disability, PTO paid holidays and 401(k). EOE
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, placing “Case Manager (Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn)” in the subject line.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.