Housing Stability Services is a new unit born out of the recognition that securing permanent housing is the first goal but maintaining housing and thriving is equally as important. The households placed in permanent housing by New Destiny’s rapid rehousing program, HousingLink, or into New Destiny’s supportive and affordable buildings, would benefit from additional resources to help maintain their housing security and create pathways to long term stability and growth.
Health and Wellness coaching will be a collaborative process tailored to meet individual’s needs. Through referrals and direct assistance, Health & Wellness Coaches will work with each household to develop resources and connections that help them improve their safety and well-being and achieve their long-term goals.
New Destiny is committed to the safety of all employees, tenants and clients within our organization and programs. In accordance with New York City’s vaccine mandate for the City workforce and employees of organizations with human services contracts, this position requires candidates to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or evidence of starting the process of becoming fully vaccinated before beginning their employment. This organization will consider accommodations for bona fide medical or a sincerely held religious, moral, or ethical belief.
The qualified candidate will report directly to the Director of Housing Stability Services and will have the following responsibilities:
Health & Wellness Coaching Services
- Collaborate with HousingLink and staff who provide on-site services at our buildings through the Family Support Program (FSP) to deliver services tailored to their programs.
- Assess individual’s physical and mental wellness, needs, preferences, and abilities and using these to develop individualized health & wellness plans.
- Engage with both adults and children using a variety of methods, both in person (individually or in groups) and by telephone, text, or email.
- Implement a range of interventions through counseling, motivational interviewing, coaching, education, referral, and advocacy to help adults and their children to access services and resources.
- Deliver individualized one-on-one health and wellness counseling with a goal of moving individuals to emotional and physical stability.
- Facilitate workshops and trainings on physical and emotional health and wellness and related topics for domestic violence survivors, their children, and advocates.
- Develop materials related to health and wellness including training curriculum, resource guides, and website content.
- Offer appropriate referrals and integrate other wraparound health and wellness supports into coaching to achieve greater results.
- Maintain individual’s data integrity by inputting and updating participant information, such as assessments, case notes, and health and wellness data into New Destiny’s case management database in real time.
- Work with supervisor and the Data and Evaluation Manager to identify trends in program
participants’ needs or gaps in services.
- Independently review internal progress reports to determine participant’s progress toward
- Coordinate with staff at NYC Family Justice Centers (FJC) where HousingLink is based, as well as with HousingLink staff regarding additional service needs and to conduct case consults as needed.
- Maintain and establish new relationships with other community-based organizations and non- profits that provide health and wellness services including, nutritional, fitness, medical, emotional and behavioral health, care coordination, and recreational as a resource to refer clients.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a master’s degree, or experiential equivalent, in Human Services, Public Health, Social Work, Nutrition, or a related field.
- Proven knowledge of health and wellness-related community resources (mental and behavioral health, physical health, and nutrition,) and a clear understanding of health-related benefits and entitlements, as demonstrated by a minimum of 2 years of job-related experience.
- Have professional proficiency in English and one of the ten designated citywide languages (preferred). The ten designated citywide languages are Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, Haitian, Korean, Arabic, Urdu, French, and Polish.
- Experience providing trauma-informed care and implementing motivational interviewing.
- Prior experience working with domestic violence survivors and their children preferred.
- Be responsible, flexible, a self-starter and able to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team model.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Have experience in interacting with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Be comfortable traveling within NYC to provide support to program participants.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.
Salary: $60,000. Competitive benefits. A hybrid model allowing for work from home two days per week will be available for this position.
Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at email@example.com, including “Health & Wellness Coach” in the subject line.