New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of domestic violence and homelessness for low-income families and individuals by developing and connecting them to safe, permanent, affordable housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing; and works to expand access to permanent housing resources for survivors. New Destiny is the largest provider of supportive housing for domestic violence survivors in New York and is a leading advocate in the effort to obtain the resources needed to end family homelessness in New York City.
Housing Stability Services is a new unit born out of the recognition that securing permanent housing is the first goal but maintaining housing and thriving is equally as important. Health and Wellness coaching will be a collaborative process tailored to meet individual’s needs. Through referrals and direct assistance, Health & Wellness Coaches will work with each household to develop resources and connections that help them improve their safety and well-being and achieve their long-term goals. The ideal candidate for the position will be creative, engaging, and passionate about improving the physical and emotional wellness of domestic violence survivors and their children.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health & Wellness Coaching Services
- Collaborate with HousingLink and staff who provide on-site services at our buildings through the Family Support Program (FSP) to deliver services tailored to their programs.
- Assess individual’s physical and mental wellness, needs, preferences, and abilities and using these to develop individualized health & wellness plans.
- Engage with both adults and children using a variety of methods, both in person (individually or in groups) and by telephone, text, or email.
- Implement a range of interventions through counseling, motivational interviewing, coaching, education, referral, and advocacy to help adults and their children to access services and resources.
- Deliver individualized one-on-one health and wellness counseling with a goal of moving individuals to emotional and physical stability.
- Facilitate workshops and trainings on physical and emotional health and wellness and related topics for domestic violence survivors, their children, and advocates.
- Develop materials related to health and wellness including training curriculum, resource guides, and website content.
- Offer appropriate referrals and integrate other wraparound health and wellness supports into coaching to achieve greater results.
- Maintain individual’s data integrity by inputting and updating participant information, such as assessments, case notes, and health and wellness data into New Destiny’s case management database in real time.
- Work with supervisor and the Data and Evaluation Manager to identify trends in program participants’ needs or gaps in services.
- Independently review internal progress reports to determine participant’s progress toward annual goals.
- Coordinate with staff at NYC Family Justice Centers (FJC) where HousingLink is based, as well as withHousingLink staff regarding additional service needs and to conduct case consults as needed.
- Maintain and establish new relationships with other community-based organizations and non- profits thatprovide health and wellness services including, nutritional, fitness, medical, emotional, and behavioralhealth, care coordination, and recreational as a resource to refer clients.
- Master’s Degree or experiential equivalent, in Human Services, Public Health, Social Work, Nutrition, or arelated field.
- Knowledge of health and wellness-related community resources (mental and behavioral health, physical health, and nutrition)
- Understanding of health-related benefits and entitlements, with a minimum of 2 years of job-related experience.
- Proficient in English and one of the ten designated citywide languages (preferred).
- Citywide languages: Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, Haitian, Korean, Arabic, Urdu, French, and Polish.
- Experience providing trauma-informed care and implementing motivational interviewing.
- Prior experience working with domestic violence survivors and their children preferred.
- Be responsible, flexible, a self-starter and able to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team model.
- Must be responsible, flexible, a self-starter and able to work independently as well as collaboratively within ateam model.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Comfortable traveling within NYC to provide support to program participants.
$60,000 per year with competitive benefits and a hybrid work schedule. This is a full-time position with a benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short disability, PTO paid holidays and 401(k). EOE.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, placing “Health and Wellness Coach” in the subject line of your e-mail.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.