New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of violence for low-income families and individuals experiencing homelessness and domestic violence by connecting them to safe, permanent housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing and expands access to permanent housing resources for survivors.
The Human Resources (HR) Manager will support and implement all HR policies and procedures within the organization, in coordination with the PEO and the executive leadership team. In this role the HR Manager will recommend and facilitate trainings and policies that develop and support a diverse and inclusive culture.
This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and have the following responsibilities:
Human Resource and Administration
- Primary contact with Paychex PEO on all payroll, benefits and HR related matters.
- Maintain department electronic and hardcopy records and reports including employees’ confidential personnel files.
- Stay current and ensure compliance with city, state, and federal labor laws and requirements.
- Oversee administrative aspects of hiring, onboarding and departure/termination of employees including management of all associated paperwork.
- Maintain and update records of personnel transactions such as new hires, benefit enrolments, performance reviews, terminations and related statistics for reports and ensure records are accurate and current.
- Track time and leave for employees and ensure accuracy of staff accrual usage and balances.
- Manage, evaluate, and administer benefits packages and work with the PEO to complete annual enrollment.
- Prepare payroll worksheet for all employees and submit it to Paychex PEO on time for processing ensuring all payroll deductions and allocations are correct and updated
- Develop, analyze, and update the performance evaluation process, and create a user-friendly evaluation process or template.
- Develop, revise, and recommend personnel policies and procedures.
- Oversee recruitment efforts for all personnel, including writing, placing job ads, and conducting phone screening interviews.
- Interpret and explain HR policies, procedures, laws, standards, or regulations and distribute critical benefits reports and updates.
- Confer with the Executive Director, CFO, and other executive staff to develop or implement personnel policies or procedures.
- Review employment applications and job orders to match applicants with job requirements.
- Oversee the recruitment, interviewing, selection, and hiring processes.
- Conduct reference or background checks of job applicants.
- Address employee relations issues, such as harassment allegations, work complaints, or other employee concerns.
- Maintain current knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and affirmative action guidelines and laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Conduct exit interviews and ensure that necessary employment termination paperwork is completed.
- Assist other programs/departments in meeting reporting requirements, preparing, and providing documents for funding sources.
- Prepare information for the annual audit, including schedules, respond and provide related support/documentation requested prior to and during audit period on time as requested.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a thorough and timely manner in compliance with organization policies, standards, and practices.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the CFO such as but not limited to preparing and submitting grants billing reports or vouchers.
Other Qualities and Attributes:
- Ability to build and always maintain an open and effective line of communication with the supervisor.
- Ability to organize resources and establish priorities that are consistent with the organization’s goals.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Ability to multitask while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to keep confidentiality associated with your HR position.
- Ability to perform tasks and responsibilities in a thorough and timely manner in compliance with organization policies and standards.
- Ability to foster a culture of diversity, inclusivity, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field
- Three to five years of relevant work experience in a Human Resources department, preferably with a nonprofit or equivalent combination of education and experience as an HR Generalist
- One to two years of experience recruiting and retaining staff
- Knowledge of a broad range of human resource strategies and practices, including employee relations/engagement, performance management, onboarding, interactive training, and workplace culture development
- Working knowledge of New York State, City, and Federal laws
- Demonstrated proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite within a professional setting
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Working towards or has a PHR or SHRM-CP certification
- Experience working with a PEO provider
- One to two years of processing payroll
- Working knowledge of Fund EZ or similar software
New Destiny is committed to the safety of all employees, tenants and clients within our organization and programs. In accordance with New York City’s vaccine mandate for the City workforce and employees of organizations with human services contracts, this position requires candidates to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or evidence of starting the process of becoming fully vaccinated before beginning their employment. This organization will consider accommodation for bona fide medical or a sincerely held religious, moral, or ethical belief.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender, and survivors or people with lived experience are encouraged to apply.
Starting salary is in the range of low to mid $60,000s. Competitive benefits.
A hybrid model allowing for work from home days is available for this position.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Human Resources Manager” in the subject line.