New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of domestic violence and homelessness for low-income families and individuals by developing and connecting them to safe, permanent, affordable housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing; and works to expand access to permanent housing resources for survivors. New Destiny is the largest provider of supportive housing for domestic violence survivors in New York and is a leading advocate in the effort to obtain the resources needed to end family homelessness in New York City.
In this role, the Sr. Accountant will be the primary back-up for the Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis providing support in the areas of financial reporting, analysis, preparation of the monthly 12-month Cash flow projection and grants accounting. The Sr. Accountant will also be responsible for the full monthly, quarterly, and annual financial closing process. The position will provide accounting support for the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) properties and address tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation and year-end audit preparation. This position will report to the Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare end to end Quarterly program variance reports with comments/explanation of unusual variances.
- Reconciliation of monthly investment and bank account while monitoring and recording investment activity.
- Complete month end transactions for the month-end close.
- Responsible for completion of the monthly reconciliation of the balance sheet accounts, including timely clearing reconciling items.
- Prepare the monthly 12 months Cash Flow projection on a consistent and timely basis with the supervision of the Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis.
- Update the source of funding schedule on an ongoing basis.
- Review account payable transaction data for accuracy, adequateness of documentation.
- Working with the Finance team to coordinate the year-end audit, including preparation of schedules and other documents for auditors.
- Update and maintain several schedules monthly.
- Support the Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis and the CFO with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Back up for cash receipts processing, accounts payable and payroll preparation as needed.
- Responsible for collection of schedules and related documents/support for the preparation of the organization’s IRS Form 990.
- Responsible for preparation and submission of the year-end 1099 reporting.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of our financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Work closely with the Grants Manager to provide accurate fiscal reports for grants reporting.
- Support the Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis with preparation and submission of grants invoices/vouchers.
- Monitor and ensure accurate allocation of revenue and expense transactions in the GL including grant related direct transactions and organizational shared transactions based on FTE ratios.
Other Finance & Accounting Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain system of checklists and electronic files to facilitate monitoring of tasks and coordination with other ND staff.
- Provide support and financial information as requested by Tax Credit Finance staff and Chief Financial Officer(CFO)
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the direct Supervisor and the CFO
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance.
- 3-5 years of solid background working in accounting department as a staff accountant/ Senior accountant.
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience with fund accounting software, such as Fund EZ or a similar product.
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process.
- Able to operate well under pressure independently and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to build and always maintain open and effective line of communication with supervisor.
- Analysis of AR/AP aging reports.
- Master’s degree and/or CPA, knowledge of development of affordable housing, LIHTC. financing, grants accounting and billing experience.
- Experience with Fund EZ financial software.
- Government and non-government grants accounting experience.
- Payroll preparation and processing experience.
- Experience in Non-profit accounting a plus.
- Results-oriented and quality-focused and possesses an appropriate sense of urgency and attention to detail in managing multiple cross-functional projects simultaneously, while operating in a fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to adapt to complex organizational structures. to positive team dynamics, client satisfaction, and creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
- Flexibility and Action oriented– taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency,high energy, and enthusiasm.
$70K – $75K per year with competitive benefits and a hybrid work schedule. This is a full-time position with a benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short disability, PTO paid holidays and 401(k). EOE.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, placing “Sr. Accountant” in the subject line of your e-mail.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.