New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of domestic violence and homelessness for low-income families and individuals by developing and connecting them to safe, permanent, affordable housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing; and works to expand access to permanent housing resources for survivors. New Destiny is the largest provider of supportive housing for domestic violence survivors in New York and is a leading advocate in the effort to obtain the resources needed to end family homelessness in New York City.
In this role, the Staff Accountant will mainly focus on Accounts Payable, ensuring accurate coding and allocations of invoices, proper authorization, and timely payment of the organization’s payables. Maintaining updated payables files (hard copies) in an audit-ready state; ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of banking transactions such as deposits; reconciling bank accounts monthly and posting depreciation expenses monthly. Providing support to grants and fiscal departments including billing and preparation of reports, cash processing, and other Financial responsibilities. Processing grants related transactions including preparation of vouchers and other related reports. Preparing and analyzing financial statements as needed. This is a full-time position reporting directly to the Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors transactions for several funds/companies.
- Tracks income and expenses for several rental properties.
- Books capital expenditures for real estate projects under development.
- Posts accounts payables and receivables.
- Prepares fiscal reports for funding sources.
- Records accurately and in a timely manner all payables and paid vouchers to the financialsoftware, FundEZ.
- Processes all disbursements and checks for signature by authorized officers.
- Maintains and updates a list of time-sensitive payables/invoices, bringing to the attentionpending issues as needed.
- Completes bank reconciliations of all accounts each month.
- Prepares information for the annual audit, including schedules, and provides relatedsupport/documentation as requested during audit period.
- Prepares grants related transactions including preparation and submission of grant vouchersas requested.
- Assists with annual budget preparation and processes.
- Process and review payment request for accuracy expense allocation and backup.
Other Finance & Accounting Responsibilities
- Books depreciation transactions in the GL every month
- Performs other tasks that are assigned by Supervisor.
- Provide requested reports by Program Staff.
- Serve as a back-up for other Finance functions as needed.
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent
- 3-5 years related accounting experience
- Proficiency in Fund EZ accounting software is a plus
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Experience working with Grants a plus
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with real estate and affordable housing accounting preferred.
- Team player with a positive attitude and the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Experience working with PEOs such as Insperity, Paychex, or ADP is a plus.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, with good communication skills and able to operatewell under pressure and independently.
- Ability to adapt to complex organizational structures to create a positive team dynamic andclient satisfaction.
- Flexibility and action oriented, willing to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with asense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
$60K – $65K per year with competitive benefits and a hybrid work schedule. This is a full-time position with a benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short disability, PTO paid holidays and 401(k). EOE.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, placing “Staff Accountant” in the subject line.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.