New Destiny is seeking an entrepreneurial, mission-driven, strategic leader. Please download the position description here.
Housing Coordinator — HousingLink
HousingLink is an innovative citywide program that provides a continuum of services to prevent or reduce shelter use and support housing stability for low-income domestic violence survivors and their children. In collaboration with five borough-based Family Justice Centers (FJC), HousingLink connects domestic violence survivors with apartments in low-income tax credit (LIHTC) housing and other affordable housing. HousingLink provides skill-building workshops and technical assistance to domestic violence survivors and their advocates to help them overcome obstacles related to finding and maintaining safe housing and increase their knowledge of permanent housing options.
New Destiny is seeking a full-time bilingual (English/Spanish) Housing Coordinator to join the HousingLink team. The qualified candidate will report directly to the HousingLink Director and have the following responsibilities:
Housing & Financial Counseling
- Meet with participants at the Family Justice Centers (FJC) in one-on-one meetings to conduct case assessments and provide housing consults around permanent housing options, including eligibility for various affordable housing programs.
- Maintain transparency with participants and referring agencies through regular updates and communication. A Housing Coordinator will have an average caseload of 30 at different stages in the process, requiring different levels of active communication.
- Based on safety, income, and housing history assessments, help participants to determine the most suitable housing option(s).
- Review credit reports and background checks focused on credit, housing, and criminal history, and work with participants to track spending, improve cash flow, and create and adhere to budgets.
- Produce individualized financial summaries that include projected annual income, average monthly cash flow and budget, and debt payment and debt to income ratio information.
Placement & Aftercare
- Match participants to available affordable housing units, sets up application submission, interviews and apartment viewings.
- Act as the liaison between participants, landlords, and other applicable groups (shelters, government agencies, etc.) throughout the placement and lease signing process.
- In accordance with internal policy, assist participants in determining the type and amount of financial assistance needed to support the in transitioning into permanent housing.
- Complete monthly check-ins with placed participants to ensure housing stability.
- Provide referrals and linkages to appropriate services for placed individuals who need support due to rent arrears, safety concerns, and case management services.
Data Management & Analysis
- Maintain HousingLink data integrity by inputting and updating information, such as assessments, case notes, and demographic data, to the HousingLink database in real time.
- Independently review internal progress reports to determine personal progress toward annual goals.
Family Justice Centers/Program Partner Relationships
- Coordinate with FJC staff on program guidelines for permanent housing and support a referral system for creating a pipeline of FJC clients to HousingLink staff.
- Actively network with FJC staff to maintain active referral flow and provide support when needed.
- Conduct case conferences with HousingLink Director and supportive FJC staff, as needed.
- Help maintain and establish new relationships with other community-based organizations.
- Travel between multiple sites on a set schedule and build and maintain positive relationships at each site
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced (3+ years) professional working in the fields of domestic violence, affordable housing, or financial literacy or coaching
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Able to review personal finance documents and analyze them using excel
- Responsible, flexible, a self-starter and able to work independently
- Comfortable traveling between multiple offices or sites
- An excellent oral and written communicator
- Experienced in interacting with people from diverse backgrounds
- Familiar with New York City and state housing subsidies (CityFHEPS and FHEPS A/B)
- Excited about using and analyzing data to consistently improve the HousingLink program
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at Resumes@NewDestinyHousing.org with “HousingLink Housing Coordinator” in the subject line.
Front Door Monitor — Bronx
New Destiny is seeking a full-time Front Door Monitor for a service-enriched affordable housing building in the Bronx. The Front Door Monitor is responsible for maintaining the safety and well-being of the tenants, staff and physical plant of the assigned building. The Front Door Monitor will work as part of the Family Support Program team which provides on-site support services for tenants and with the on-site superintendent. The Front Door Monitor is expected to use his/her judgment to determine the most appropriate course of action for a given situation.
The Front Door Monitor reports directly to the Tenant Support Coordinator. The Front Door Monitor is required to work Tuesdays through Thursdays from 5:00 pm to 12:00 am and Fridays and Saturday from 6:00 pm to 1:00 am.
- Maintain the security of the building and its immediate surroundings (e.g., front steps, backyard) by monitoring and, if appropriate, reporting suspicious or unusual activity to the Housing Services Director and/or the police, if necessary.
- Patrol interior hallways and exterior of building once per hour. These rounds must be documented in the Building Log Book.
- Document all incidents on the New Destiny Housing Corporation Incident Report Form and the Building Log Book and contact the Tenant Support Coordinator and Housing Services Director to report any incident.
- Monitor the CCTV system to observe suspicious activity either inside or outside of the building and take necessary action.
- In case of emergency, contact either the police or fire department depending on the circumstances.
- Call the Housing Services Director to report incidents that require police contact before calling the police if possible or immediately after calling the police if an emergency situation.
- Communicate with staff on duty about any situations requiring attention.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum – High School Diploma or G.E.D with at least 1 year of security guard experience in a residential setting.
• Security Guard License is required.
• Additional requirements include computer proficiency, and strong writing and communication skills. CPR and Fire Guard a plus.
Excellent benefits. Please email resume and a detailed cover letter to New Destiny at Resumes@NewDestinyHousing.org with “Front Door Monitor” in the subject line.
Case Manager — Bronx
New Destiny is seeking to hire a Case Manager who will be based on-site at one of New Destiny’s service-enriched affordable properties in the Bronx. The Case Manager will be part of New Destiny’s Family Support Program team and will collaborate with the Tenant Support Coordinator to maintain and grow a robust program at the designated site in support of program and individual goals: fostering family stability by connecting families to resources; maintaining a violence- free environment; and helping children thrive emotionally, physically, and academically.
This is a full-time position requiring one late night a week (e.g., 11:00 am to 7:00 pm) and occasional weekend hours. The Case Manager reports directly to the Tenant Support Coordinator.
Case Management Responsibilities
- Develop children’s programming in collaboration with the Tenant Support Coordinator and the families.
- Provide supportive counseling (one-on-one, group and for families) and parent workshops.
- Work with families to create and implement annual service plans.
- At minimum, conduct annual assessments with tenants on the following areas: education, safety, income and housing stability.
- Plan and implement age-appropriate therapeutic activities for children.
- Research, organize and implement afterschool and occasional weekend activities.
- Build connections in the community and provide referrals to parenting and counseling groups, and to recreational and educational programs.
- Work with families to follow-up with schools, clinics and other providers where appropriate.
- Contribute to the program database of borough- specific and city wide educational and recreational programs.
- Attend weekly supervision meetings with the Tenant Support Coordinator.
- Prepare monthly reports on program activities including the type of activity and participation rate.
- Collect and maintain information on children and families (report cards, skills evaluation, surveys).
- Conduct monthly case conferences with Family Support Program staff.
- Maintain up-to-date case files and ensure all data is inputted into the case management database.
- Contribute to the development of best practices for the Family Support Program.
- Work with volunteers and Interns to enrich youth and family events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. A BSW or BA/S in the areas of Psychology, Sociology, Early Education preferred.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of direct client service required.
- Knowledge and experience assisting clients access resources in the areas of housing stability, health & mental health and food security.
- Proven track record in engaging children and adults who have experienced homelessness and domestic violence.
- Ability to be empathetic, creative and resourceful. Experience with trauma-informed care preferred.
- Ideal candidate is a person who is highly organized, flexible and resourceful.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, computer literacy and sound judgment.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at Resumes@NewDestinyHousing.org. Include Case Manager in the subject line.