Media inquiries: Diane Adler, email@example.com, (646) 472-0262 ext. 19
BronxNet OPEN Host Daren Jaime sits down with the Executive Director of
New Destiny Housing, Nicole Branca to give insight on how the organization
provides housing and services to victims of domestic violence and their families.
New Destiny in the News
- Univision Nueva York (Ch. 41) – January 6, 2022 Victor Javier Solano de Univision New York habla con nuestra Sr. Policy Analyst Gabriela I. Sandoval Requena sobre el plan de vivienda propuesto por la Gobernadora Hochul.
(Victor Javier Solano from Univision New York speaks with our Senior Policy Analyst Gabriela I. Sandoval Requena about the housing plan proposed by Governor Hochul. Video in Spanish)
- Pressroom, Governor Kathy Hochul – December 10, 2021 “Governor Hochul Signs Legislation to Combat Homelessness and Expand Housing Affordability in New York City.” Includes a quote from Nicole Branca.
- City Limits – December 1, 2021 Nicole Branca is quoted in “Advocates’ Advice for Eric Adams? Better Coordination Between NYC’s Housing and Homelessness Agencies”
- Bronx Times – November 24, 2021 Hochul announces opening of $35M supportive housing development in Longwood
- news12 The Bronx – November 17, 2021 New complex ‘The Corden’ aims to decrease homelessness in Bronx community
- NYC HCR – November 17, 2021 Governor Hochul Announces Grand Opening of $35 Million Supportive Housing Development for Families in the Bronx
- MSN – November 17, 2021 PHOTOS: New $35M housing development opens in the Bronx
- City Limits – November 5, 2021 “Opinion: Why Housing is Key to Addressing the Public Health Crisis of Racism” by Nicole Branca
- July 23, 2021: Press conference to announce bill for universal rental assistance features Congressman Ritchie Torres, New Destiny Housing, tenants and other housing advocates.
- News 12 (video in English): “Rep. Torres introduces bill to ensure universal rental assistance for struggling New Yorkers”
- NY 1 Noticias (article/video in Spanish): “Proponen ampliar programa en asistencia de alquiler ‘Sección 8′”
- Telemundo 47 (video in Spanish): “Promueven legislación para ayudar a desamparados y residentes pagar alquiler en NY”
- City Limits – May 5, 2021 “Opinion: NYC’s Next Mayor Must Seek ‘Transformative’ Solutions to Address Family Homelessness Crisis”
- HealthDay – January 27, 2021 “AHA News: HousingLink Gives Families Fleeing Domestic Violence a Second Chance” – includes quotes from HousingLink director Alyssa Keil and a program participant.
- Gotham Gazette – December 9, 2020 “We Must Take Steps Now to Help Domestic Violence Survivors,” an opinion piece by Nicole Branca and Council Member Stephen Levin.
- AMNY – October 30, 2020 Grant from the American Heart Association New York City for HousingLink.
- Westfair Online – October 29, 2020 New Destiny’s first affordable housing project outside of New York City receives financing through NYS IDA.
- Architectural Record – October, 2020 “Destiny’s Child: Alexander Gorlin brightens a once-notorious corner of the South Bronx with affordable apartments designed to provide more than shelter” – features The Jennings, and quotes New Destiny’s Joan Beck, director of housing and development.
- HIVE – Sept./Oct., 2020 Our building, The Jennings, has also been featured in HIVE, an online publication of the Design Leadership Network construction.
- New York Real Estate Journal – Aug. 18, 2020 “MAP tops off two projects: The Bedford and The Bryant” features Magnusson Architecture and Planning PC (MAP) and one of our Bronx buildings, currently under construction.
- Gothamist – May 14, 2020 “Reports Of Domestic Violence Have Declined During Coronavirus Lockdown. That Doesn’t Mean It’s Not Happening,” includes several quotes from Carol Corden, former Executive Director
- WNYC – May 14, 2020 An audio version of the article
- Vogue – May 2, 2020 “A Domestic Abuse Survivor Considers the Future From a New York Shelter,” includes several quotes from Carol Corden, former Executive Director
- N.Y. Post – Feb. 16, 2020 “A real housing fix,” letter to the editor by Carol Corden, former Executive Director
- NY Post – Feb 2, 2020 “Half of NYC’s homeless domestic-violence victims feel unsafe in shelters,” includes quotes from Carol Corden, former Executive Director
- Affordable Housing Finance – Jan. 16, 2020 Article on our 42-unit building in the Bronx – The Jennings.
- City Limits – Jan. 13, 2020 In this opinion piece, former Executive Director Carol Corden points out that while domestic violence is “often the root cause of homelessness for families,” funding and attention around family homelessness is all too often “dedicated to short-term fixes like shelter.”
- WTXL Tallahassee – Jan. 10, 2020 The Family Homelessness Coalition, which New Destiny helps to lead, was featured in a video on homelessness that ran on dozens of television stations nationwide.
- New York Daily News – Dec. 26, 2019 In this opinion article, Errol Louis recommends supporting the Family Homelessness Coalition’s solutions to addressing the needs of homeless families and children.
- RealEstateRama – Nov. 7, 2019 Ribbon Cutting Celebrating New Affordable Apartments in the Bronx for Low-Income Families and Domestic Violence Survivors.
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle – Oct. 28, 2019 Domestic violence still leading driver of city’s shelter population: report, with quotes from Carol Corden, former Executive Director.
- Architecture Magazine – Sept. 2019 Affordable housing in The Bronx, featuring The Bryant, our
62-unitbuilding in development.
- Caribbean Life – April 4, 2019 Fight against family homelessness continues
- Crain’s New York – January 3, 2019 Jamaica tower project lands $67M in loans
- The Bed Stuy Blog – June 13, 2018 Renovated Affordable Housing Opens on Bainbridge Street
- amnewyork – June 7, 2018 Affordable housing NYC: Bed-Stuy apartments get ‘long overdue’ $9.4M renovation [print‑friendly]
- Philanthropy New York – Jan. 31, 2018 Is the Help Helpful? Alternatives to Shelter for Families Headed by Domestic Violence Survivors
- Pew Charitable Trusts – Jan. 19, 2018 Homeless Will Now Be Asked: Are You Fleeing Domestic Violence?
- New Destiny Housing – Nov. 16, 2017 New Destiny awarded $125,000 through the TD Charitable Foundation’s Housing for Everyone grant competition
- New Destiny Housing – Oct. 30, 2017 Former Executive Director Carol Corden’s testimony to New York City Council’s Joint Hearing by Committee on General Welfare and the Committee on Women’s Issues
- m/Oppenheim – Oct. 12, 2017 Nonprofit Spotlight: New Destiny Housing Helping Families Rebuild From Times of Domestic Trauma
- Multi-Housing News – Sep. 4, 2017 New Destiny Breaks Ground on Affordable Bronx Community [print‑friendly]
- QNS.com – Aug. 24, 2017 Family homelessness Task Force report offers solutions to the city’s homelessness problem [print‑friendly]
- El Diario – July 20, 2017 New Destiny’s Director of HousingLink is featured in this article: Una psicóloga al servicio de las víctimas de violencia intrafamiliar. Click here for English translation
- Shelterforce – July 12, 2017 7 Policies to End Family Homelessness, authored by Carol Corden; Judi Kende, Vice President, Enterprise Community Partners, Inc.; and Jennifer March, Executive Director, Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York
- Observer – June 21, 2017 One Homelessness Plan for One New York, authored by Carol Corden; Judi Kende, Vice President, Enterprise Community Partners, Inc.; and and Jennifer March, Executive Director, Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York
- DNAinfo – June 20, 2017 Strengthen Rent Regulation Rules Amid Homeless Crisis, Task Force Urges (Article on report and recommendations by the Family Homelessness Task Force)
- New York YIMBY – Jan. 10, 2017 Permits Filed: Eight stories of supportive housing for the homeless at 902 Jennings Street, Crotona Park East
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle – Jan. 9, 2017 Gillibrand: Homeless domestic violence survivors shouldn’t be invisible, deserve more federal resources
- Newsday – Jan. 8, 2017 U.S. needs to assist ‘invisible’ homeless, Sen. Gillibrand says
- WNYC News – Jan. 8, 2016 Gillibrand Wants Trump Admin. to Count Homeless Domestic Violence Survivors
- New York Times – May 10, 2016 Homeless Families in New York City, Letter to the Editor by Carol Corden
- Huffington Post – March 2016 Survivors, advocates and experts, including Carol Corden, on how to reduce fatal domestic violence
- NYN Media – January 2016 Advocates comment on New York City’s policy changes regarding homeless victims of domestic violence
- Huffington Post – January 2016 One New York City nonprofit is trying to make it easier for domestic violence survivors to leave their partners
- NYN Media – December 2015 Explains the impact of not including domestic violence survivors in the HUD homeless count
- City & State – May 2015 The True Cost of Domestic Violence. Article includes quotes from Catherine Trapani
- NYNP – April 2015 Carol Corden selected as a leader in the non-profit sector
- New York Times – November 2014 report on domestic violence includes a quote from Carol Corden, former Executive Director
- DNAinfo – June 2014 New Destiny mentioned in article on supportive housing in the Bronx