We’re excited to share the launch of the Family Homelessness Coalition website. The Coalition is a group of 16 organizations united to end family homelessness in New York City and improve the well-being of children and families in and leaving shelters.
New Destiny was an original co-convener of the Coalition and remains a leader in its continuing advocacy work. Comprised of service and housing providers and children’s advocacy organizations from across New York City, the Coalition’s goals are:
- Strengthen prevention and post-shelter services for at-risk families
- Promote child and family well-being when shelter is unavoidable
- Create more permanent housing resources for homeless children and their families including:
* Develop a long-term project-based rent subsidy for HPD homeless set-aside units
* Support a State rent subsidy program for very low-income families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
* Increase the number of units set aside for homeless families in all projects receiving City rental subsidies, capital funding, land, zoning bonuses, and/or tax abatements and exemptions
* Develop a service-enriched permanent housing model for vulnerable homeless families who are ineligible for NYC 15/15 supportive housing
Learn more at the Coalition’s website https://fhcnyc.org/ and follow us on twitter @FHCNYC.