New Destiny’s mission is to end the cycle of domestic violence and homelessness for low-income families and individuals by developing and connecting them to safe, permanent, affordable housing and services. To achieve its mission, New Destiny builds and manages housing with on-site services; offers innovative programs that assist survivors in finding and retaining affordable housing; and works to expand access to permanent housing resources for survivors. New Destiny is the largest provider of supportive housing for domestic violence survivors in New York and is a leading advocate in the effort to obtain the resources needed to end family homelessness in New York City.
Housing Stability Services is a new unit born out of the recognition that securing permanent housing is the first goal but maintaining housing and thriving is equally as important. The Financial Coach is to provide on-site services collaborating with the HousingLink and Family Support Program (FSP) in providing financial stability. The successful candidate will need to be creative, resourceful, and familiar with data and partnership management. The ideal candidate for the position will be pioneering and passionate about improving the financial lives of domestic violence survivors and their children.
Duties and Responsibilities
Financial Coaching Services
- Collaborate with HousingLink staff who offer rapid-rehousing services across NYC and Family Support Program (FSP) staff who provide on-site services at our buildings to deliver services tailored to their programs.
- Deliver individualized one-on-one financial counseling with a goal of moving individuals to financial stability.
- Assess new HousingLink participants and FSP tenants and develop individual financial action plans.
- Assist long-time FSP tenants to assess and resolve current financial challenges, while providing a wide lens on their financial health to shift the approach to proactive financial management.
- Provide strategies and resources to help individuals reach financial goals including building savings, reducing debt, and improving credit.
- Facilitate workshops and trainings on economic empowerment, financial literacy, and related topics for domestic violence survivors, and advocates.
- Develop materials related to economic empowerment and financial literacy including training curriculum,resource guides, and website content.
- Offer appropriate referrals and integrate other wraparound financial supports (i.e. education, career/job training and tax preparation) into coaching to achieve greater results.
- Maintain data integrity by inputting and updating participant information, such as assessments, case notes,and financial data into New Destiny’s case management database in real time.
- Work with supervisor and the Data and Evaluation Manager to identify trends in program participants’ needs or gaps in services.
- Independently review internal progress reports to determine participant’s progress toward annual goals.
- Coordinate with staff at NYC Family Justice Centers (FJC) where HousingLink services begin, as well as with HousingLink staff regarding additional service needs and to conduct case consults as needed.
- Maintain and establish new relationships with other community-based organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree or five years combined coursework and work experience in social services, coaching, or financial education.
- Must have knowledge about financial literacy, personal money management, savings and banking options,safe financial products and services and consumer rights.
- Understanding of New York City benefits, entitlements, programs and community resources.
- Proficient in English and one of the ten designated citywide languages (preferred).
- Citywide languages: Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, Haitian, Korean, Arabic, Urdu, French, and Polish.
- Prior experience working with domestic violence survivors and their children preferred.
- Must be responsible, flexible, a self-starter and able to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team model.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Comfortable traveling within NYC to provide support to program participants.
$60,000 per year with competitive benefits and a hybrid work schedule. This is a full-time position with a benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short disability, PTO paid holidays and 401(k). EOE.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, placing “Financial Coach” in the subject line of your e-mail.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. Survivors of domestic violence and people who have experienced housing instability are encouraged to apply.