New Destiny offers trauma-informed services on-site to tenants in our permanent housing through our Family Support Program. Staff collaborate with survivors to help them overcome obstacles on their path to independence and self-sufficiency. Our Family Support Program empowers all of our tenants and offers them the support they need to build a better tomorrow for themselves and their children.
The Family Support Program is a successful model for delivering services that results in housing stability and ends the cycle of violence in these families. Each year, nearly 100% of the families in our buildings remain stable in their housing and free from new incidents of domestic violence. The outcome is that families remain stable and safe, and children are given a chance to flourish and succeed academically. A 2020-21 independent evaluation of the program by researchers from Simmons University School of Social Work, led by Kristie A. Thomas, PhD, found that our affordable, permanent housing combined with specially tailored services provides housing stability and a foundation that allows survivors to progress in other areas of their lives.
- Individual counseling for adults and children
- Domestic violence counseling and safety planning
- Employment coaching and work readiness
- Public benefits management
- Children’s programming
- Family activities and social events
- Therapeutic and recreational activities for children
- Academic assistance for children
- Workshops on topics such as health, legal issues and personal finances
- Referrals to specialized services including legal programs and job training
- Eviction prevention services
What does a case manager in our Family Support Program do?
Learn about a case manager’s work in this video featuring Edwin, a case manager in one of our affordable buildings in the Bronx.