FAQ on COVID-19 and NYC affordable housing

By Gina Cappuccitti, Assistant Director, HousingLink

We’ve put together some answers to questions you may have regarding how COVID-19/coronavirus may impact renting an affordable apartment and accessing documents.

Is there guidance on getting documents for rental applications? 

  • If you rely on going in-person to get documents from financial institutions, employers, etc., work on learning how to access this information online as much as possible. Save any important documents in one place on via email, on a USB, or in a secure folder on your computer so you can have them ready for rental applications. Remember, you should not submit these documents to a landlord/broker until you’ve viewed the unit and they have provided you with an application. 
  • For most rental applications, you’ll need at least your most recent tax return. If you already filed for 2019, make sure you know how to access your tax return. If you did your taxes yourself online, make sure to download the PDF and save it in a secure location. If you had your taxes prepared by someone else, you may want to scan the documents into your email for easy digital access. 
  • If you need previous year tax returns, request a tax transcript by calling the IRS Transcript Request Hotline at 1-800-908-9946. This request will take about 10 business days, so you should make this request as soon as possible, even if you haven’t yet started applying to apartments.  
  • Make sure to retain your copies of your W-2s and 1099s to show as proof. If you don’t have them, these can be requested from the companies that paid you, not from the tax preparer. Start requesting 2018 and 2019 W-2 and 1099 forms from current and previous employers now, just in case you’ll need them. 
  • If you’re witnessing a drop in pay due to COVID-19, prepare to show your current earnings as well as your earnings prior to being affected by COVID-19. Any additional documentation such as a letter from your employer explaining that hours were reduced due to the current public health situation, or your tax returns showing stable income over time, can help when applying to apartments. Keep in mind, however, that reduced earnings may go on longer than you expect, so think about whether the rent will be affordable to you if your earnings are impacted for several months. 

Are affordable buildings going to rent-up during this time?

  • Watch to see if you receive communications from Housing Connect directly, or from any leasing agents responsible for the leasing of a unit through Housing Connect. While eligibility appointments are usually completed in-person, they may be transferring to alternative methods for submitting documents. Fax, email, and online submission of documents may be utilized for Housing Connect apartments. 
  • Always review the checklist of documents carefully to make sure you have everything ready for a Housing Connect apartment building. If you have been contacted for an apartment and have questions on what to submit, reach out ASAP to the email address or phone number listed. If you aren’t able to reach someone quickly, make sure that you submit all documents you have access to by the deadline they provide. The leasing agent will contact you if any documents should be missing. 

What should people do if they have problems with a housing voucher?

  • HRA Offices remain open at this time. If you are having any issues with getting a renewed shopping letter or have any concerns regarding your voucher, you can first try reaching out via phone or email to your housing specialist at your shelter or the case worker at your local Homebase office. If the issue cannot be resolved over the phone or email, you can still go into an HRA Job Center. 
  • If you’re experiencing issues with landlords or brokers being unwilling to accept your voucher, you can take any or all of the following steps to address Source of Income Discrimination
    • Educate yourself on what co nstitutes Source of Income Discrimination
    • Call the HRA Source of Income Discrimination Unit to request mediation with landlords/brokers: 929-221-6576
    • Call 311 to file a complaint with the NYC Commission on Human Rights
    • Complete a Source of Income Discrimination complaint online with the New York State Attorney General.

What about Section 8 Vouchers through HPD?

Information listed below is from HPD’s website. For the most up-to-date information from HPD click here.

  • All tenant conferences and briefings scheduled will be postponed and rescheduled at a later date.
  • Participants experiencing a rent hardship due to a decrease in income may contact HPD via DTRAI@hpd.nyc.gov or by fax at 212-863-5299.
  • HPD will automatically provide additional time for anyone with an active voucher. Clients do not need to reach out to HPD for an extension.
  • HPD will temporarily suspend non-emergency HQS inspections. If you have a life-threatening condition, please call 311.
  • All hearings for appeal are cancelled until further notice. HPD will continue to pay subsidy until a final determination is made.

What about Section 8 Vouchers through NYHCA?

People with Section 8 vouchers administered by NYCHA should call the Customer Contact Center at 718-707-7771 with any issues that come up, including if your voucher is expiring soon. Call at least a week and a half before the expiration date on the voucher.

4 responses to “FAQ on COVID-19 and NYC affordable housing”

  1. Michelle Blanchard says:

    Hello I am a DV victim and I am looking for an apartment not a shelter. I need assistance please if you can contact me 7864787019

  2. Sharnise johnson says:

    Hi I’m also a DV survivor currently in a shelter and I’m looking high and low for a place to stay before my voucher date expires please help

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *